Non-Tariff Measures International Advisor (01 Position)
Updated on : 10-03-2017
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Non-Tariff Measures International Adviser
The Second Trade Development Facility (TDF-2) is a multi donor program financed by Australia, the European Union, Germany, Ireland, USAID, and the World Bank focusing on improving trade and private sector development in Lao PDR. The development objective of TDF-2, which is implemented by the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, is to support the implementation of government’s trade and integration priorities outlined in the 2012 Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) Roadmap, and in particular to contribute to improved competitiveness and diversification, focusing outside the natural resource sectors. TDF-2 has three main components: (a) Trade facilitation, trade policy and regulations; (b) Diversification and competitiveness; and, (c) Mainstreaming aid for trade. The appraised value of the project is US$ 16.5 million which will run until September 2018. Technical responsibility for implementation of the Trade Development Facility lies with the National Implementation Unit (NIU), based within the Planning and Cooperation Department of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.
The NIU is now looking for a Non-Tariff Measures International Adviser to support the DIMEX of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce in the continued implementation of the NTMs component of TDF-2. The Non-Tariff Measures Advisor will be expected to support the ongoing implementation of the NTM reform agenda and build capacity in the NTM Working Group and DIMEX officers, and government agencies that issue trade-related regulations. The estimated input for this assignment is 12 months to be provided on a full-time basis, with the possibility of extension over future years of the project, based on satisfactory performance and the project needs. It is expected that the inputs will be delivered in Vientiane capital, Lao PDR working alongside government officials. The full detailed ToR is available at the NIU’s website:http://t4dlaos.org/index.php/en/work-with-us/vacancies.
In order to be considered for the position, the candidates should meet the following qualifications and experience requirements:
- At least Master Degree or equivalent in economics, business or related discipline or substantial demonstrable subject matter experience.
- Proven experience of working, over a long term, embedded within a trade related government institution (e.g. Customs, Ministry of Commerce, or similar) in a hands-on advisory and capacity building role and willing to work alongside and assist national counterparts in a practical and proactive way.
- Minimum of eight to ten years working experience on trade policy related issues and non-tariff measures.
- Minimum two years working experience on related program management, especially on development programs.
- Proven experiences to conduct the cost and benefit analysis and impact assessment of NTMs.
- Relevant work experience in developing countries, in particular in connection with the public sector. Experience in Southeast Asia is an asset.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written). Knowledge of Lao language, while not required, would be a strong asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills to facilitate dialogue with various government agencies, engage with senior and technical staff, and the private sector.
- Experience of cross cultural management issues in doing business, especially with Asian culture is an asset.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, Individual Consultants (IC) selection method. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines, setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.In order to apply for the position, candidates shall request the Application Form from the NIU, which can be sent via e-mail. Applications in a different format shall not be accepted.
The NIU now invites interested eligible consultants to provide information indicating that you are qualified to perform the services (curriculum vitae with expressions of interest and references). Applications shall be submitted personally of via e-mail, on or before March 31, 2017, 16:00 o’clock. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Attn: Mr. Sengphanomchone Inthasane, NIU Manager
Ministry of Industry and Commerce, National Implementation Unit (NIU)
Ban Phonxay, Xaysettha District, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Tel: +856 (21) 41 39 16 – 45 39 82; Fax: +856(21) 41 39 16,
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent Vacancy
|National Trade Facilitation Analyst (01 position)||Other||31-01-2017|
|Non-Tariff Measures International Advisor (01 Position)||Other||07-02-2017|